Friday, February 5, 2016

Days 7-5, Jean Baptiste


Jean Baptiste Charbonneau was born at a time when stars remained silent to the fate of men. A between time when the borders of nations expanded and contracted in accordance with ill begotten and soon discarded treaties. A sea of languages, of displaced and displacing men, all caught in the pull of a great tide of endless frontiers.
Born to a Shoshone woman and a fur trapper from Quebec, who is said to have won this woman as winnings from a night of gambling, Jean was as an infant, the youngest member of a party set out to survey the new territory known as the Louisiana Purchase led by explorers Lewis and Clark. Perhaps it was because he was born traveling that no horoscope could be cast which would equal the magnitude of what this child's life was to become.
No simple list of his life events will be recounted here, but it was remarkable by any standard what he achieved in that sad, brutal century. That he came to me through reading about his mother, Sacagawea, which is the name of a local park near where I first lived with my sister upon my return to my hometown after living away for nearly 30 years, and that I have a coin with both his mother's and his own images on it, I find ironic. That I drove into the hills he last traveled and died in I find magical.

No comments:

Post a Comment